Thursday, June 19, 2014

Singing in Leipzig - Choir Tour Day 7





All I want to do here is immerse myself in music.   

There are banners everywhere advertising the Bachfest Leipzig.  It’s pretty surreal to be in this town, walking the same streets that Bach must have walked long ago.  There was a busker in front of the Thomaskirche and he was singing Schumann arias and it was normal.  When would you ever see that in North America? Classical music is everywhere here. 

Last night I had dinner at the Auerbachs Keller, a famous underground restaurant where Goethe spent a lot of time.  It dates back to at least 1438.  I don't even quite know how to process being in a place that has existed for that long.  I also had the most incredible warm apple strudel with ice cream and whipped cream at the Bachstüb'l across from the Thomaskirche late last night.  

Quite possibly the best applestrudel in the world...
and made even more special by being served in the immediate vicinity of Bach's church
The only place I’ve really wanted to go or visit is the Thomaskirche.  It’s a very strange pull, kind of subtle and always there.  I don’t really feel comfortable when I am not close to it or can’t see it.  I just keep being drawn back, no matter where I wander.  

It’s kind of the way I feel about the ocean... anyone that has been with me near the ocean knows that I am not happy unless I can see it or am in it.  It’s the same kind of pull that I feel here.  Our concert is tomorrow and I feel the immensity of what we are about to do.  My first time in the church yesterday, I felt so overwhelmed by being in Bach’s presence and in that important musical space that I did not feel anywhere close to “good enough” to be performing here.  

It took me a very long time to trust myself as a singer, and while I have come to a place where I have learned to trust myself (especially this year as a new singer in this professional choir where I have had to jump into learning very difficult music in very short periods of time), my initial reaction was to feel overwhelmed by the importance of this. 

I knew I needed to get over that, and quickly, so I spent a lot of time today alternating between going into the church and going back to my room to practice my music.  I wanted to get familiar with the church, get comfortable enough with it so that it wouldn’t overwhelm me so much. It was nice to just spend time sitting in the church, hearing other musicians rehearse for their own performances in the Bachfest.  It was also a very beautiful experience to just be in my hotel room alone, open the windows to let in the fresh air, and just rehearse, go over particular phrases over and over again to get just the right vowel sound, just the right dynamics, just the right breath control, and feel myself somehow joined with a long history of singers and musicians that have practiced to perfection in this city of Leipzig.

Sign on the Thomaskirche door listing us as rehearsing in the space that day
Us around Bach's grave during dress rehearsal
We had a dress rehearsal today in the church as well.  That was an incredible experience, to hear the sound we could make in that space.  Tourists and other people (including a very well-known choral conductor from Toronto) wandered in and out and sat for a while listening to our rehearsal.  We rehearsed right at the front, in front of Bach’s tomb.  How many musicians can say they’ve had this experience?   



We were all "in the zone".  It was a very focused rehearsal, and just so lovely to have the chance to rehearse in that space.  It was special. 

The end of the evening brought the most beautiful rainbow over the old town hall – an omen of good things to come.  Only one more day until we sing in the Bachfest.








Rainbow over the old town hall


No comments:

Post a Comment